Friday, June 9, 2017

Purpose Driven Life Day 38

Day 38, June 7th, "Becoming a World-Class Christian"
- Mark 16:15 says, "And then he told them. "Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone." Are you a world-class christian or a worldly christian? Worldly christians primarily look to God for personal fulfillment. They are self-centered and want to use God for THEIR purposes instead of being used for HIS purposes. World-class christians know they were saved to serve and are eager to receive an assignment from God. I don't know about you but often times I get in the mindset of the worldly christian and have to be brought back to being a world-class christian. Often times I want to fight the assignment God has given me because I don't feel fit for it. If we want to become world-class christians we have to change our perspectives and attitudes. The only barrier we have from become a world-class christian is the way we think.

HOW TO THINK LIKE A WORLD-CLASS CHRISTIAN
   - *Shift from self-centered thinking to other centered thinking*
       - 1 Corinthians 14:20 says, "Dear brothers and sisters, don't be childish in your understanding of these things. Be innocent as babies when it comes to evil, but be mature in understanding matters of this kind." When you are having trouble with something ask the Holy Spirit to help you. When you are talking to unbelievers ask the Holy Spirit to help you understand their spiritual need. "Your goal is to figure out where others are in their spiritual journey and then do whatever will bring them a step closer to knowing Christ." (Rick Warren). As believers is is our job to help bring unbelievers to Christ. When you are having trouble talking to someone ask the Holy Spirit to help you.
    - *Shift from local thinking to global thinking*
        - Acts 17:26-27 says, "From one man he created all the nations throughout the whole earth. He decided beforehand when they should rise and fall, and he determined their boundaries. 'His purpose was for the nations to seek after God and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him - though he is not far from any one of us.'" We should begin to pray for specific countries by name. "Like an intercontinental missile you can aim a prayer at a person's heart whether you are 10 feet or 10,000 miles away." (Rick Warren). You don't have to be in the country you are praying for. You can pray anywhere at anytime. We need to pray for opportunities to witness, courage to speak up, unbelievers, and the rapid spread of the message. We also should pray for the missionaries of the world. "People are most receptive to God when they are under tension or transition." (Rick Warren). I find this to be very true. Whenever I am stressed or going through a transition I feel closer to God. We need to reach out to the people in tension or transition and share with them the Good News.
    - *Shift from "here and now" thinking to eternal thinking*
        - We must maintain an eternal perspective and distinguish what is urgent and what is ultimate. 2 Corinthians 4:18 says, "So we don't look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever." We should never trade our life for temporary things. We need to invest on getting people to heaven. Spread the Good News.
    - *Shift from thinking of excuses to thinking of creative ways to fulfill your commission*
       - If you are willing their is a way. Pray and ask God where He wants you. After reading this chapter I wake up every morning and ask God to show me who He wants me to witness to today. Jeremiah 1:7-8 says, "The Lord replied, 'Don't say, 'I'm too young,' for you must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you. And don't be afraid of the people, for I will be with you and will protect you. I, the Lord, have spoken!'" We have to go where God tells us to go and we have to do and say what God tell us to do and say. I am in Ohio temporarily for a reason. It is my job to do my purpose here and spread God's word. Do I really want to be in Ohio? No, but God has brought me back here and I will make the most of it until He calls me somewhere else.

Point to Ponder: The Great Commission is my commission.
Verse to Remember: "Send us around the world with the news of your saving power and your eternal plan for all mankind." Psalm 67:2
Question to Consider: What steps can I take to prepare to go on a short-term missions experience in the next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment